Fiberglass windows are not just a fad that will disappear as fast as it emerged. They are actually an amazing step forward, a combination of classic and modern solutions for consumer window needs. Fiberglass provides a perfect combination of all the qualities required in a window.
- Strength and durability – better than vinyl
- Affordable price – lower cost than aluminum-clad wood
- Easy maintenance – virtually maintenance-free
- Aesthetic appeal – excellent
Windows are the focus of attention in any room, they are required to let light in and keep the unpleasant weather elements out. They are supposed to keep us warm in the winter and cool in the summer, augment the interior, making it cozy and livable, and increase curb appeal, matching the style of your house. Oh, and of course, the windows should remain in perfect shape, retaining their beauty and energy efficiency for years, or, better yet – decades.
- Wood has been the dominant window material for centuries on end, but the maintenance issue remains unresolved even with the most contemporary finishes and low-maintenance exterior cladding. The material is very sensitive to humidity and temperature, and prone to rot.
- Vinyl barely requires any upkeep, and is much more durable, however, it requires chunkier profiles due to the characteristics of the material. It also loses a certain amount of resiliency over time.
- Fiberglass does away with practically all the shortcomings of its predecessors. Because of the glass fibers in its makeup, it contracts and expands at approximately the same rate as the glass, which means a snugger fit between the frame and the glass, thus better year-round insulation. Completely unaffected by the weather, it requires even less maintenance than vinyl – which seemed virtually possible. The early fiberglass windows that ventured out on the market 15 years ago did not offer much in the way of aesthetic pleasure, whereas now numerous colors are available for the exterior finish and a wooden option – for the interior.
If you’re looking for window repair and replacement services company in Chicago that has extensive experience with all types of windows, including fiberglass, please don’t hesitate to call us for a friendly consultation.